Case Study # 3: Whistle Blower Divides IT Security Community



1.           Do you think that Mike Lynn acted in a responsible manner?  Why or Why not?


     Yes, I think it did make sense for me, Mike Lynn doing the right thing in what he thinks in a responsible manner. He discovered a threat regarding Cisco routers about security systems and found out that it was possible to create network worm that could propagate itself as it attacked and took control of routers across the Internet.  I cannot imagine that if there was a flaw in the system and without caring continues working with them even if threats may harm the majority? Or chooses to inform everybody that there was a threat for them to be aware and avoid at, and as a responsible worker, what should do? This question always stays in my mind. Therefor, I considered Mark Lynn as a responsible worker because he’s not choosing to be mute and disregard things as is nothing was happened instead he chooses to speak out what he had discovered which may be possibly affect the community and damage of property. It was not about money because he resigned in the morning before his presentation and continued to present what he had discovered. I think a responsible and a professional IT worker must stand in its own beliefs and their opinions even if other contradicts. One very strong point here I found out was when Lynn said, “I feel I had to do what’s right for the country and the national infrastructure” and that absolutely made him a responsible person. I think there is always criticisms arise when good things happen and it also means that the good thing is actually working, but person needs to stand stronger and work even harder to completely become a right person to do the action. It is always important to do the right thing that doing it right. On the other hand, I also see somehow Lynn has attitude problem. He’s not completely given the details that made him somehow irresponsible person, but what very important here is that he’s doing the right thing, no matter what way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment